Trump administration scientist complained ‘election stuff’ overtook COVID concerns at last White House: report
A scientist working for the Trump administration has repeatedly complained in emails that the “electoral stuff” took a dangerous precedence on creating an effective response to the deadly COVID-19 disaster, The Washington Post reported.
Donald Trump’s election attention continued according to emails as the number of COVID-19 cases in the United States climbed to some 250,000 a day in January, the Post said.
Emails from Steven Hatfill, a virologist who suggested White House director of commerce Peter Navarro, had been obtained by the special House committee investigating the White House’s response to the COVID-19 disaster.
“Now with elections so close, COVID takes a back seat, but disease is raising it up[s] ugly head again, ”Hatfill wrote to a colleague outside the White House in October 2020 in an email seen by the Post.
After the election, which was contested by Trump, Hatfill revealed in another email that he personally “moved on to the election fraud investigation in November.”
Instead of specializing in the pandemic, Hatfill traveled to Arizona after the presidential vote closed there. He also allegedly emailed White House officers regarding a Dominion Voting Systems conspiracy concept and forwarded an email to Navarro regarding a “Plan B for Trump Legal Fight”. intended “For Rudy”, likely referring to former Trump personal attorney Rudy Giuliani.
“The electoral thing has gotten out of hand. I’m going where my team is going, ”Hatfill told another colleague in an email, referring to additional difficult work following the presidential election in Nevada, the Post reported.
James Clyburn, chair of the COVID-19 House Select subcommittee, wrote in a September 23 memorandum that “throughout November and December 2020, the pandemic continued to worsen in the United States – with over 11 million new cases and 132,770 deaths in those two months alone.” Nearly 200,000 Americans lost their lives to COVID between election day and nomination day, Clyburn added.
Hatfill defended his campaign work with the Post. He said in response to questions from the newspaper: “I was, and continue to be, frustrated that public health is being treated like political football. Moreover, I was disgusted by the destruction of the national pandemic plan at the hands of small, conflicting bureaucrats. “
Hatfill accurately predicted in February 2020 that problems with examinations provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would severely hamper early efforts to transmit COVID under leadership, according to the Post.
The former army biodefense researcher was named as an individual of curiosity by then Attorney General John Ashcroft in the 2001 anthrax attacks when the poison was mailed. He was cleared of any wrongdoing and received a $ 5.85 million settlement of the Ministry of Justice in 2008.
“‘Person of interest to advise WH in 20 yearsHatfill wrote in an email change in February 2020, the Post reported, including that he “helped write a memo for the big D last night.” “Only in America LOL.”
Read it the whole Washington Post story here.
Calling all HuffPost superfans!
Sign up to become a founding member and participate in the next chapter of HuffPost