Kansas Emergency Management Division assesses damage from last Wednesday’s disaster

WICHITA, Kansas (KSNW) – Emergency officials across the county are working with the Kansas Emergency Management Division (KDEM) to collect damage assessments for the period Dec. 15-23.

Pastoralists and farmers who have suffered damage to their equipment, outbuildings, crops, livestock, etc., should contact their County Emergency Board run by the Farm Service Agency and / or their County Extension Officer . The County Emergency Board will report the damage to the State Emergency Board, and the Kansas Department of Agriculture is responsible for requesting this assistance.

KDEM also collects damage assessments, including damage to utilities, roads and public buildings.

The Federal Public Assistance Program may fund repairs, restoration, reconstruction or replacement of public facilities and infrastructure that meet the eligibility criteria to be damaged or destroyed as a result of the disaster.

Eligible recipients include state governments, residents, counties, townships, state political subdivisions, Indian tribes, and specific private non-profit organizations that provide essential services of a government nature.

Kansans who have been affected by the disaster should also contact their insurance company and the county emergency manager to seek help from volunteer agencies. They can also call 211 to speak to the United Way, which can direct them to organizations that can help them.

KDEM coordinates resources and brings together damage assessments to support a governor’s request for federal assistance. All disasters start and end locally.

Comments are closed.