Armed men attack a convoy of the Libyan Prime Minister in Tripoli



NNA |
Update:
February 11, 2022 04:16 STI

Tripoli [Libya]Jan. 11 (ANI/Xinhua): Unidentified gunmen attacked Libyan Prime Minister Abdul-Hamid Dbeibah’s convoy in the capital Tripoli on Thursday, the Libyan Interior Ministry said.
“Earlier in the day, the Prime Minister’s convoy was the victim of an armed attack in the district of Souk al-Juma (center of Tripoli) by individuals in a vehicle without license plates,” said Ministry spokesman Abdulmenem al-Arabi said in a statement. .
Confirming that the attack caused no casualties, al-Arabi said the incident happened after a protest against “the country’s political development”.
“The Home Office condemns this criminal act,” the spokesperson said, confirming that an investigation was underway “to bring the criminals to justice.”

The statement was released hours after the House of Representatives (parliament) voted unanimously for Fathi Bashagha as the country’s new prime minister.
However, Dbeibah said on Tuesday that his government would remain in office until elections were held and hand over power only to “an elected government”.
Dbeibah’s national unity government was named by the UN-sponsored Libyan Political Dialogue Forum in February last year, ending years of political division in the North African country.
The Libyan parliament withdrew its confidence in Dbeibah’s government in September last year and retained it as an interim government.
General elections in Libya were scheduled for December 24 last year but were postponed indefinitely for technical and legal reasons. (ANI/Xinhua)

Comments are closed.